(POSTED 02/28/2017) The Archdiocese of Chicago is currently seeking a Staff Attorney. If you or someone you know may be interested, please see below for more complete details about the position.
Job Title: Staff Attorney
Department: Legal Services
Archbishop Quigley Center
835 N. Rush St.
Chicago, IL 60611-2030
Hours: Full time
The Staff Attorney, under the direction of General Counsel, provides legal representation and services for the Archdiocese and its agencies, departments, and parishes in multiple practice areas, with heavy focus on real estate, contracts and other matters. The Staff Attorney should be licensed to practice law in Illinois and be admitted to Illinois Federal Courts. The ideal candidate has 1 to 5 years of experience, preferably with a focus on real estate transactions and leasing.
Under the supervision of General Counsel, the Staff Attorney
- Drafts and negotiates real estate leases, facilities license agreements, amendments and notices
- Assists with purchase and sales transactions, easements and other real estate matters
- Reviews or drafts and negotiates routine operating contracts
- Reviews and manages bequest matters
- Reviews materials related to tax-exempt status
- Performs research regarding legal issues, identifying risks and making recommendations
- Performs due diligence
- Responds to inquiries from the agencies, departments, and parishes of the Archdiocese
- Performs other duties as assigned
- J. D. from accredited law school
- License to practice law in the State of Illinois
- Admitted to Federal court
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to expeditiously assess issues or risks and provide sound legal advice
- Strong interpersonal skills, courteous and professional demeanor, and positive approach to serving others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong advocacy and analytical skills
- Close attention to details
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to handle mutiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability and willingness to work in multiple practice areas and across multiple operational disciplines
- Self-starter with a team-player mentality
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgement
If you are interested in being considered for this opening, please visit the list of open positions on AppliTrack. Please complete a letter of interest, a profile, or submit your resume.